Sunday, September 30, 2012

The FOX New Girl Is No "New Girl"

The Mindy Project, S01E01

We were introduced to Mindy last Tuesday night, who is a doctor trying get her romantic life together.  Although she had what seemed like a fateful encounter with another doctor, she was soon ruining his engagement party with another woman and getting herself arrested.  Although she tried to recover and start dating again, Mindy inevitably went back to her bad ways of the convenient hook-up with an attractive co-worker.

I can't say that I fell in love with this show, but I feel like it has potential.  First of all, I feel like most women can relate to her trying to further her career while failing at love at the same time.  It's not anything that hasn't been done before, but I think I'm more interested because Mindy seems to have a lot more flaws than the average person.  Her main flaw is that she tends to talk a lot more than she should.  I also like that she's not super tiny like a lot of the actresses are nowadays.  I mean, I want to see someone curvy and doesn't look like the wind is going to blow them away!  Plus, despite that she's a mess, she's got an attitude and doesn't roll over when someone tries to get her down (like when she liked her sparkly dress, but she did ultimately change it).  I feel like Mindy could win me over if she's put through enough entertaining situations.  So far, she hadn't done anything too remarkable just yet.

I think my favorite thing, besides her really awkward date with a guy before she ran out on him, was when she was being questioned by the officer after being arrested.  Mindy felt that her arrest was a waste of time:
[Mindy] I’m sorry, disorderly conduct?  Aren’t there rapists and murderers out there?
[Officer] When you are disorderly, you are a rapist of peace and quiet.
Besides that, I don't think that I thought it was funny--or at least New Girl funny--but it wasn't all together boring.  I'd like to see what kind of trouble Mindy might get into next week.  I think the pieces are all there, but there just has to be something to keep me invested in the overall concept of the show.  Hopefully this week I can see something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment