Thursday, October 11, 2012

Regina Repeats History

Once Upon A Time, S02E02

Storybrooke began to panic when they found out they would lose memory of themselves if they left and were concerned about what the Queen would do to them with her power back.  The Queen got her mother's book of magic from Rumpelstiltskin so that she could use magic to return Henry to her side.  Her past with magic was also revealed.  Charming tried to lead the townspeople while using some magic from Rumpelstiltskin to find someone who might know how to use the hat that sent Emma and Snow away.

One thing that is interesting to me is how I've sort of forgotten about Charming being David ever since he started acting like his former self. I mean, it's like David totally disappeared, but at the end when he was making a grand speech about the townspeople being both their magic and non-magical self, I sort of remembered him again.  I could see everyone else accepting their other self, but not him--David was a mess.  But I suppose if he embraces the bad parts of himself, he can try harder not to let himself ever be that sort of person again.

Charming is pretty restless, though.  I mean, I know that the town has gone through an emergency situation, but they could go look to someone else for answers.  He was running around like a chicken without a head trying to chase down Hatter and calm the people down so they wouldn't riot or run out of town to their doom.  So it was no surprise that Red sort of made him choose priorities and focus on the most foremost problem.  I don't think it's quite fair that he as to take care of that, but I guess a prince has to overlook his own wishes for the greater good of his people.  And if he hadn't, everyone was just going to run out of town (are they idiots??), and he'd be alone with probably only the most unreliable people left (like Rump).

Charming probably will be okay even though Hatter ran away from him because no one's really leaving town, and Storybrooke's not that big.  So eventually, he'll run into him again and can question him about getting his magical hat to work again.  Unless things just never settle down again.

Onto the Queen.  I was rather interested in her whole thing with that book of magic.  It once belonged to her mother who had gotten it from Rump.  Apparently, Rump has had his eye on Regina for the longest time and was the one who taught her about magic in the first place.  He even mentioned they were back where they belonged--together.  What does all that mean?  Regina eventually became his rival, so I don't know if Rump planned for her to be more useful to him in the future and she turned out to be an enemy, but it's very curious.

It's also curious how history repeats itself.  Regina's mother used magic to trap Regina when she was younger and Regina fought to not use magic in an attempt to not be her mother.  Similarly, when Regina used magic to take Henry back and keep him in their house, Henry wanted nothing to do with her magic in an attempt to not be Regina.  I'm certain that Regina, although giving Henry back to his grandfather (don't you love it when Henry calls Charming "Gramps," by the way?), isn't done using magic to force people and things to her will.  If she was, she might have burned that book of magic from Rump.  That's a good sign that she's just waiting until someone threatens her enough that she needs to take out her bag of tricks again.  And I can't blame her because those townspeople would have totally killed her by now if it wasn't for Henry.

On another story, I wonder why Rump is so angered by the fact that they can't leave Storybrooke?  I know he wanted the curse broken eventually, but why does it surprise and irritate him so that the curse isn't entirely gone?  I thought he was the one controlling everything, so something must have gone wrong.  Maybe he wanted to leave to look for his son?  After all, his son was sent to the real world somewhere outside of Storybrooke.

Emma and Snow seemed to be screwed since Mulan is treating them as hostile and they've ran into Regina's mother.  That can only mean something even worse is going to happen to them.  I don't know why no one has no idea about who Snow is yet.  I thought she was famous enough that the entire magic world would know her.  But perhaps not.  Still, I can't wait until someone does recognize her and she can tell them about what's been going down in Storybrooke (though I doubt anyone will really believe her).

Lots of things going on, as usual in this show, so it's hard to really comment about everything little thing (which I wish I could do).  I'm just loving watching this show again and still find that it is the thing that I look forward to most in the week.  Really interested to know what will be revealed and resolved next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment