Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Try To Help, Get Zip Tied

The Mindy Project, S01E07


 Mindy tried to help her neighbor and friend Sophia make a smarter decision about going on birth control and having sex with her boyfriend.  Danny had to deal with a complaint about lewd behavior in the office. 

At first I really liked that Sophia and Mindy seem to have a nice bond, as if they were sisters or something.  However, the moment that Mindy tried to get too involved in Sophia's decision about sex, Sophia became a bit of a pain.  I get that no teenage wants an adult to tell them what to do about having sex, but I felt like Sophia was being a little too mean-spirited when Mindy was both trying to help her consider the weight of her first sexual experience and doing her a favor at all by possibly supplying her with birth control in the first place.  The latter was done without parental consent, so Mindy could have gotten in more trouble when helping her.  Mindy got way too involved, but at the same time, it was Sophia who went to her in the first place.  She couldn't have possibly thought that she could just ask Mindy for the pills and Mindy would have just threw some at her with no thought.

My least favorite part was when Sophia got the chance to question Josh, and Josh showed that he was no better of a boyfriend than Sophia's guy.  In fact, he wasn't really thinking of a future with Mindy at all.  It wasn't so fair to put him on the spot when Mindy and he had only been dating for a little while, but still.  I didn't like Josh too much there.  I mean, I felt like he could have worded his uncertainty about Mindy in a better way.  I'm still far from being his fan, and I don't think the two of them have forever on their horizon.

It was kinda funny that Mindy got restrained at the school for handing out condoms.  I'm thinking that's more of a no-no because she was unauthorized and parents would complain.  But seriously, what the hell is the harm?  It wasn't like she was pimping out the girls or something!  Geez!  I felt that they didn't need to zip tie her up!  Extreme!  But Mindy was dancing on the line of creepy being at the school and doing what she was doing in the first place.  She really should have just stayed at work (and did the job she seems to be able to not do at will--must be nice to be a partner).  It's amazing how Mindy can look like a criminal so many times when she's not exactly trying to do anything illegal.

As far as Danny's story went, it was okay.  I knew that it was Betsy who had written that complaint.  It was cute when Danny had Morgan in his office and he kept talking about the dogs he kept at the office.  I really like him for some reason.  He has this boyish charm.  Anyway, Danny was being so inappropriate in the way he was trying to up Betsy's confidence.  I can't believe he complimented her so much on her physical traits.  I really hope that doesn't end up blowing in his face anytime soon.

Oh, yeah.  I also loved how much Ben loved Mindy.  She made a fast friend of him and it was adorable, although it is very weird.  But not nearly as weird as that slime all the kids were playing with.  Kids are so strange.

This episode was okay.  It was hard to watch Mindy going around a high school as if her presence there was normal.  I don't think she should ever skip work again.  I'm not any closer to loving Josh, even though I know he's making an effort with Mindy.  I just don't have much faith in his commitment to her, and I doubt that will ever change.  Danny is sort of useless when it comes to handling people.  Although I like he is a bit of a mess himself and Mindy is surely not alone in that department.

No comments:

Post a Comment