Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Homer's Dog

The Simpsons, S24E08


Homer lost sight of Santa's Little Helper after spending the day playing an online  game.  When Bart found him and questioned why Homer wasn't happy to see the dog again, Grandpa revealed the story about how Homer's childhood dog was forced to find a new home.

If you've ever wondered why Homer neglects his dog, this would be the story for you.  I find it hard to think that any fan of this show was wondering this.  Usually, I like stories about Homer as a kid because it's sort of interesting to see how the boy became the man today, but this time I found it hard to care.  I guess it's because I didn't really question Homer's attitude toward Santa's Little Helper.  I mean, there are times when Homer loves the dog, and there are times when the dog might as well be a lamp because he doesn't pay it much attention.  Still, I would have assumed that Homer just doesn't like anything that doesn't have to do with food and beer in general.  It's not really a mystery.  I guess besides seeing a young Homer, it was nice to see a young Abe (and less cranky) and a young Mr. Burns (a little less frail).

As for the jokes my favorite would have to be when Homer was watching a video on his tablet and said:
Man, that keyboard-playing cat is so cute.
But when you looked at his screen, it was just this guy playing like jazz piano or something.  That wasn't hilarious, but I enjoyed it still.

Another thing I liked was when Mr. Burns came out from behind a lawn flamingo.  Only someone as slim as him could have pulled that off.  A little later, I almost had a laugh when Abe tossed Homer to the second floor room, nearly missing.  That reckless treatment of kids must be something passed down from generation to generation for the Simpsons.

Other than that, I sort of just liked how much trouble Abe went through to protect Homer.  You sometimes forget that Abe was more than a grumpy, old man yelling about all of Homer's faults.  He sometimes sacrificed things (like his own home to pay for Homer's new home) for the sake of his son.  It's not often something we see, so I could enjoy the story just for that simple fact.

I don't have really anything to say about Mr. Burns explaining the "fiscal cliff."  If they had to fill in a few more minutes, it's too bad they couldn't had done something a little funnier.  This week's story was a little more "aww" than it was "haha."

This was a take-it-or-leave-it episode.  It had few jokes that worked for me, but it sort of balanced that out by being a story in the past (which I usually like) and being on the sweet side.  However, it's not really one that I see myself wanting to watch again.  I don't feel like anything significant was revealed or accomplished by Homer's back story, so  I feel mostly like it was a bit of a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment