Thursday, December 6, 2012

Stand Up For Your Man

Happy Endings, S03E05


Jane struggled to break through the "men-only" wall with her coworkers at the car dealership, and Brad offered to help her.  Max wanted revenge on Brody for breaking his fist pump, and Dave blamed himself for it happening because he believed he invented the concept of "too slow."  Penny tried to hide the fact that she needed to wear a prescription helmet while dating a new guy.

I guess that Jane's offer to work at the car dealership was a real thing.  I kept wondering if it was a gag.  I guess that's good because it helped make a good story about Jane fitting in there.  I would have expected with her aggressive attitude, she would fit in well with the kind of sharks that work at the Car Czar's dealership.  But instead she tried too hard to be one of the boys and just ended up being awkward and a little gross.

I liked that Brad tried to help her, but got stuck with all the wives at the party.  I can buy that.  Brad is the kind of guy that most people just like in general.  I don't know if he would have won over the boys at Jane's office so easily, but I think if he had been focused he would have found a way.  It was cute how he started acting like a trophy wife and sort of supporting Jane, even though she was putting him down to her coworkers.

One of my favorite lines was when Brad mentioned after the Car Czar had left their house:
His humor makes me uncomfortable.
It was also one of my favorite parts to see Brad come into the dealership in shorts, acting super feminine and sporting a little pig in a pet carrier.  He was both cute and really embarrassing to Jane.  I could watch him doing that all day--he was so ridiculous.  But he made a good point about Jane treating him so badly when they are a team and he's never done that to her.  Aww.  I liked that Jane finally stood up for him, but was too valuable of an employee for  the Car Czar to fire her.  Yay.

Okay, I couldn't care less about Dave thinking he invented the concept of faking a low-five, but I loved seeing Max so damn angry over something so stupid.  He even had a childhood memory to back up why it upset him so, making it funnier.  Max holds grudges over the silliest things.  However, I will agree that Brody is a dick.  I loved when Brody countered Max's counter by covering his hand with "mashed potatoes" and Max exploded:
I'll kill you!
Max usually isn't the one full of rage, so I enjoyed seeing what set him off.  And usually I can't stand Alex, but when she exploded too after  Brody made the squid-like motion, I had too laugh, too.  Wow, they really made fist bumping a serious issue.

Penny and her damn helmet.  I don't know why she couldn't just be happy from the beginning with the new pink helmet she had bought instead of trying to cover it up?  I mean, she could have just went out with the guy like once a week until her month was over.  In those four dates, she could have better spread out her ideas to hide the fact that she had to have protection on her head at all times.  Or she could have not been a moron at all and told him the truth right away.  She was lucky that Pete put up with her for as long as he did.  She has enough problems going on without her adding "acts crazy when you try to touch her head."

I didn't exactly love this episode, but I didn't hate it either.  I liked the story about Jane and Brad the best, and I enjoyed seeing Max being angry to the point of wanting to fight.  Didn't care too much about Dave or Penny, but that's nothing new.  It would take a really great story for me to be over the moon about something those two did.

No comments:

Post a Comment