Sunday, February 24, 2013

Yay--Best Wedding Ever!

Parks and Recreation, S05E14


Leslie and Ben scrambled to get their friends to help them prepare for their last minute wedding.  They had some trouble at first, but they managed to get it together within two hours.  However, the wedding was ruined when Jamm stepped in  with jeers and stink bombs and Ron had to go to jail for punching the councilman in the face.  When it looked like Leslie would have to wait until their planned wedding date, her friends surprised her with an even more intimate wedding at her old City Hall office.

One of the quick fixes that was impressive was Ann's contribution.  She really stepped up and created a meaningful and fashionable dress for Leslie!  I loved her dress.  It was fun, unique and also didn't make Leslie look like some old lady getting married for the third time.  It's not at all what I pictured her walking down the aisle in, so it was a wonderful surprise.  I don't know what her original concept was for her wedding dress, but I can't imagine it topping Ann's creation.  Who knew that watching Project Runway for so long could turn you into such a skillful designer?

I was also impressed by Ron making those rings from Ann's wall sconce.  He just ripped it out of the wall and next thing you knew he had two silver rings.  That was confusing until they showed an extra scene where Ron like melted that metal down and formed rings as if he does this sort of thing in his sleep.  It only took him about twenty minutes to make those.  Damn.  Let me get a friend like that.  He had a good comment after he finished making them:
People who buy things are suckers.
I wish I could not be a sucker and just make stuff out of raw materials.  Unfortunately, there aren't people like Ron everywhere you look.

Another good line was when Chris was watching Ben fix his tie.  Chris got emotional, but was trying to hold back:
I promised myself I was not going to cry tonight, and I have already broken that promise five times.
Chris and Ben had a little touching moment then, but it didn't get to quite as much as later when Ron was walking Leslie down the hall of City Hall for her second attempt for a wedding ceremony.  I don't know why, but I teared up when I heard Ron say to Leslie:
You are a wonderful person, your friendship means a lot to me, and you look very beautiful.
I think this was so heartful because Leslie refused to have her wedding without Ron there to walk her down the aisle as her father figure.  It's so rare to hear Ron speak from the heart, but when he does it's emotionally amazing.

That part was my second favorite part.  My absolute favorite part was when they were having the wedding initially at the gala.  Jamm's ass was acting a fool (I don't know why Leslie gloated to him about the wedding in the first place) and he had the balls to hit Ron.  It was an awesome moment when Ron hit him in the face once and Jamm was down on the floor instantly.  April conveyed my feelings about that perfectly:
Yay--best wedding ever!
Any ceremony when Ron can assault a jackass is a great event to me.  It's just too bad that he couldn't have literally thrown Jamm out of there on his ass.

Still, the little wedding ceremony they had in the office was just as great, if not better.  It came as another surprise and it was more than Lesile and Ben could have asked for.  I'm really happy that it all worked out in such an amazing way.

It's unfortunate that Andy was bummed about him failing the police academy, but at least Chris was there to comfort him and assure him that all was not lost.  Plus, Ann realized that she should have considered Chris as a sperm donor all along.  I don't know why she was looking for strangers when Chris has always been nearby.  Not sure if he'll be up for that, though.

This was a beautiful episode.  It was heartwarming yet funny, so it didn't just feel like they overwhelmed you with just Leslie and Ben mushiness--you also got to see the joy and feelings of her friends in seeing them unite.  Everyone had a little part to play, and in the end it was the people who were most special in her life that made her wedding possible.  I feel relieved that they are finally man and wife, so I don't have to worry about someone sabotaging it for them.  I just wish that Andy would soon feel like his life has come together.  Chris has to be right that sooner rather than later they will figure out the next step, and Andy will have found his place in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment