Friday, October 26, 2012

Nick And Jess: Bad Friends

New Girl, S02E05


Jess went out with Cece for her birthday with her model friends and insulted Cece.  Schmidt bought Nick a cookie and was hurt that Nick didn't think about him sometimes.

The two stories where Jess and Nick acted like asses to their best friends wasn't bad, but it wasn't too funny.  I suppose it just interesting to see how little Jess valued Cece as a model and how little Nick valued all the things Schmidt does for him without asking.  I wasn't too surprised that Jess couldn't handle a night out with the models without putting someone down (she's shown us several times that she has ridiculously high standards sometimes), but I was surprised that Schmidt didn't already know that Nick displays emotion as often as a mop does.

With that being said, I didn't like Jess' story as much as Nick's.  I can't even think what would be my favorite part of that story because even when she was struggling to stand on the spinning platform for the model gig, I was just cringing at her awkwardness instead of laughing at it.  I guess I just liked that she finally recognized that Cece isn't just an airhead or shallow because she has befriended her model coworkers.  I don't know how Jess even gets on a high horse at any given time, considering how much of a consistent mess she is.

Now onto the slightly better story with Nick.  Of course, I agree that Schmidt should have spoken out about Nick neglecting him, but I couldn't believe how much he was pouting and bitching about it!  But I wasn't too bothered by him because Winston stepped in to take his side and was doing his own version of pouting as well.  I was just disappointed that Winston didn't take it to Schmidt's level because it would have been funnier than Schmidt doing it.  I mean, Schmidt started crying because Nick takes him for granted.  Really?

But my all time favorite moment of this episode was when Nick tried to repair the damage he had done (over the years, I suppose) by getting Schmidt a cookie.  I had a strange mixture of sympathy and ridicule for him after Schmidt told him that his cookie present was terrible:



All these tears from getting a cookie!  Nick was so adorable!  I never thought he would break down like that.  Way to save this episode, Nick.

Oh, and I did like seeing how Nick and Schmidt met for the first time.  It was so bizarre how they just kinda clicked even though Schmidt was just sitting in his room eating ramen for no reason.  Like their friendship was meant to be--they're both weirdos.

Next time I just hope there is a little less man love being thrown around.  I felt like they were almost acting like teenage girls, it was so emotional (inappropriately so--it was a damn cookie).  I'd rather them being doing something else crazy that doesn't involve their feelings and such.  And as for Jess, I want to get back to see what she's doing for employment.  I'd really like to see her teaching some unpleasant kids again.  That would definitely be good for some laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment