Friday, October 26, 2012

Where We Left Off

Happy Endings, S03E01


 To start off the third season, they had stories that addressed some things from the season finale.  Dave and Alex were trying to casually date.  Max was trying to keep Penny in a cast so he could get closer to her physical therapist.  Brad was lying to Jane about his new job.

I nearly forgot about this show entirely because its premiere was at the same time as New Girl, and there's no competition between which one I'd want to watch more.  I had also forgotten what had happened last time we saw the gang until I started watching.  Then I remembered that I hadn't been much interested in anything they left hanging, except I did wonder who Max would replace Grant with.

The worst story was, of course, Dave and Alex, who were failing miserably to act casually with their relationship back on.  I hated how they were speaking like stupid frat boys or something--it wasn't funny in the least.  Also, who cares about them together or not?  I have to agree with Max's assessment of hearing them back together, even though I didn't get the Frasier reference.  Haha.

The Brad and Jane story was better, but not by much.  I sorta liked that Brad had a dummy named Sinbrad because it made him a little creepy.  It was also kinda funny that he had a background of his house in his office to fool Jane into thinking he was still at home.  I just don't get why he didn't just tell her. There's no way Jane would be that upset about it, no matter how happy she was that he was taking some time off and getting time to spend with him.  His song with Sinbrad at the end also wasn't terrible.  I might have enjoyed it more if he had used a different song to parody.

Brad and Penny's story was the best, but it's not saying much because this whole episode was blah to me.  I liked that Max was "misery-ing" Penny all for the sake of spending time with Kent, whose ass he was admiring at one funny point.  I just like seeing Max's selfishness causing someone else a problem and in this case, it was almost psychotic the way he was doing, so that was nice.  But what I liked best was the way that Max ended his little charade with Kent when Penny told him everything that Max had done:

[Kent] Max, is this true?
[Max] Yes, but Kent I-I did it for us.  When we're together and we're looking into each other's face--you know what, forget it.  I'm a skeeze.  Get the hell out of here.
 I just love how easily he tossed Kent aside after going to the trouble of drugging Penny to get him.  Haha.  Good ol' Max.  Seriously, I think I keep watching because I just love him so much.  Plus, Jane and Brad have their moments too.  But Max picked up the slack, as usual.

This was a better premiere for this show than I probably would have anticipated, if I was even thinking about it coming back to TV.  I'm not so sure why it's not as hilarious as it was before.  However, it's too early to know if I'm going to have to give up Max for the sake of not dealing with everyone else's poor performances.  I really hope they step out of the box this year and bring back that comedy that attracted me to this show in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment