Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Blurbs And Blood

2 Broke Girls, S02E08


Max and Caroline were excited to find a blurb about their cupcake business in Martha Stewart Living.  Fueled by their good luck, they tried to find ways to buy the soup kitchen for their business after it had been shut done due to a murder inside.  After failing to get a business loan from a small business organization and an investment from Sophie, the girls sought money from an egg donation clinic.

I was pretty surprised that the first time Caroline mentioned checking Martha Stewart's magazine that there would be something about their business in it.  It's nice that Martha came through for them and Caroline's phone was blowing up with cupcake orders.  I'm sure that would be plenty for them at this stage.  I was further surprised that Caroline was taking that momentum to buy themselves a space.  I thought that kind of conversation would come much later, but I guess you have to strike when the iron is hot.  I was surprised by that, but not much that they got rejected for loans and by Sophie.  Then at the end I was shocked again that Sophie changed her mind.  It's not so clear why she had a change of heart.  Maybe she just knew that they were down on their luck--we have really no idea.  I'd make a fuss about this being a little too convenient if I wasn't just happy for the girls overall.  Basically, I'm adopting a "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" kind of attitude with that plot development.

What I really liked about this episode was a few things.  I most liked when Max went into the soup kitchen and was so pumped about all the blood on the walls.  I have to say I might have wanted to do the same thing, even if it's a little twisted.  I mean, people did die in there, but it was also a bunch of drug dealers, so I couldn't be too sorry for the way things had ended up for those people.  I don't know if I would have wanted to start my business there, but you can't sneeze at the reduced rent you would have to pay there, that's for sure.

It also wasn't a bad scene when Max was left alone to pitch their business plan for their loan.  It was like she had shown up for a test, but had never studied a day in her life.  It was cute how she started to talk and her voice just got softer and softer until you couldn't hear her at all.  I don't blame her for having no confidence--that lady at the desk was an impatient bitch.  But again, no surprise that they weren't given a loan.

Caroline's blood-spurting scene was the last scene I particularly enjoyed.  I cried out when all that blood was coming out of her, and it only got worse when she knocked into a nurse and got blood thrown all over the walls too.  After seeing that I couldn't help but think who was going to clean that up?  I don't envy that person.

This was a good episode.  It looks like we may see their cupcake shop soon enough.  I doubt that they won't encounter a lot of problems along the way, but it should be a good ride.  After all, just buying a place isn't enough to get the business started.  It takes a whole lot before anything is up and running.  So I'm happy to see them moving along, but I'm also content to know they won't be too successful too fast and lose their title as "two broke girls."

No comments:

Post a Comment