Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pit People; Saved the Best For Last

How I Met Your Mother, S08E11-E12


In this double episode,  the first half was about Ted's obsession with his old professor who said he would never be an architect.  His friends went with him to their old school so Ted could confront the man, and Lily and Marshall ran into an old friend who they believed was obsessed with them.  Barney was also jinxed and couldn't speak.  In the second half, Ted was torn about keeping his promise to Barney to not tell anyone about his plan to propose to Patrice.  Marshall and Lily also found it hard to have a night away from Marvin.

The first story was sort of funny.  I liked the idea of "pit guy."  They always make up some kind of term on this show, but lately I haven't loved any of them.  The idea that everyone has someone that they would throw into a pit because they hate them so much is interesting.  I felt bad, though, when Ted had to deal with his pit guy, Professor Vinick.  That guy was just awful.  Ted never got the satisfaction of showing the man he was wrong about Ted, and in fact, he got the last word in.  It's Ted's fault for not coming to the realization faster that he didn't need Vinick to validate his self-worth as a architect, but it still sucks for him.  The only thing I really liked about Ted's pit guy was Ted's fantasy about getting his revenge.  Ted threw a cigarette in front of him, setting ablaze a trail of fire that caused Vinick to burst into flames.  The professor quickly turned into ash.  That, plus Ted's maniacal laughter afterwards, was my favorite part of the story.

I didn't really like Robin's pit guy situation.  It was all kinds of wrong for her to try and fire Patrice for personal reasons.  I don't know if she could sue her for wrongful termination, but it was definitely going to make me hate Robin more if she didn't see the light in the end.  I did like her yelling at Patrice about the basket she bought for the lotions, but other than that I was just waiting to see if Robin would really be so petty to fire a sweet girl out of jealousy.

My second favorite thing about the first story was Daryl, played aptly by Seth Green.  Seth Green has always been a little creepy (also type of person that gets under your skin) to me, so he was really good playing someone who seemed to be unable to forget Lily and Marshall.  I loved when in the past Lily and Marshall tried to avoid him and he magically appeared in front of them.  And it was sort of funny that he later took the two to his suspicious and darkly-lit basement and Marshal and Lily thought they were going to die.  However, I knew early on that Daryl was most likely to give them a check.  I just hoped that he wouldn't tear it up.  That could have been money for Marvin's education.  What a shame.

I didn't think much of Barney's jinx til the very end where it became sort of relevant.  He got Ted to break the jinx by showing him a ring.  I actually believed that he was truly going to propose to Patrice.  I also knew that Ted wouldn't be able to keep his promise to Barney.  Telling Ted something about his friends that the others don't know is like tweeting it or putting it on Facebook.

In the second story, I was surprised that Marshall was trying to get Ted to give Robin another go.  I hope that was his real feelings and not because he was trying to win that bet he and Lily have.  However, as much as it looked like Ted was going to be selfish and go down the same old road again with Robin, I knew there was no way he could be that stupid.  I was really relieved when he told Robin the truth and took Robin to the building where the proposal would happen.  It's been a while since I've wanted to pat Ted on the back for a good job.  Robin and Ted is so eight years ago!  Haha.

No question about it, I was quite impressed with Barney.  I have really wondered why he has been so calm lately--it's been because he has been planning all this time to win Robin back!  And because it's Barney, who is the master of convoluted plans, you don't question how he was able to pull it off.  I absolutely loved that he named the last "play" of his book "The Robin," which detailed the steps he took to win Robin back after helping Robin break up with her last guy.  No man who didn't love her would go through so much trouble.  I mean, he pretended to be dating her worst enemy (who is really her biggest fan for playing the part for Barbin so well) and ignored all of her come-ons.  I loved this proposal more than the one for Quinn.  Hers was very magical, but Robin's was very heartfelt.   If Robin didn't say yes, then she might as well have fallen off that damn building.  Haha.  But seriously, it was very sweet and I feel like I need to watch it again.  I liked watching all of Barney's plan explained.

As for Marshall and Lily, they are new parents--nothing surprising about them missing Marvin.  I did think Lily's dad made it worse.  He was just too easy-going about them being gone that it made it seem like they weren't needed.  Of course, they would start to miss him and be unable to enjoy their night alone.

Good episodes.  The first story was definitely funnier because of all the "pit guy" business, but the second one was much more significant because Barbin became official with Barney's proposal.  I can't say that I'm going to miss that playbook of his.  I'm just very impressed that the last play was his very best one (and the only one I liked).  For that, it sort of makes his collection of sleazing on girls worthwhile.  Robin has to be pretty special to be deemed the last and only remaining page.

No comments:

Post a Comment