Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mindy's Perfect Guy

The Mindy Project, S01E16

Mindy reconnected with a guy that she had met at camp when she was thirteen and had an amazing time with him.  The only thing that ruined the start to their relationship was that Sam was in the army and was meant to deploy for 18 months to Afghanistan.  Mindy, not wanting Sam to leave so quickly after they started something so good, tried to find a way to make him ineligible to return to duty for a while.  Danny also was asked by a couple to be their sperm donor and had second thoughts after agreeing to it.

Who would have guessed the first guy that seemed to be Mindy's perfect match would be played by Seth Rogen?  I like him as an actor just fine, but I didn't think that he would have such chemistry with Mindy that it was a little devastating that Sam had to go in the end.  He had all the things that I felt like Mindy needed: a guy who could keep up with her in the comedy department, could share in her love of romantic comedies, and was genuinely a nice person.  It was like every second they spent together made me not want to see him go even more.  It was a little embarrassing that Mindy got caught trying to sabotage his return to service, but I sorta wanted her to succeed.  Sam won me over from the second he awkwardly tried to pretend that he was blind--why did he have to be played by a guest star?  Argh.

My favorite scene between Mindy and Sam was when they were at the drug store and he suggested that they use self-checkout.  Mindy only scanned one item before it had an error and set off an alarm because it thought she was trying to bag something she hadn't paid for.  I liked how they ran off, abandoing their items, and how the machine knew her name.  I think even though it made them look like shoplifters, it was a memory that they could laugh about later.

Sam also gave Mindy the best goodbye letter ever.  I haven't watched the movie You Got Mail, but I think that Sam's ability to quote from it in a letter (and his request that she not share this fact to anyone else) made him look even more perfect for Mindy than he had before.  Their story together was exactly what you would expect from the kind of movies that she liked:  first meeting as kids, and then years later having a chance love connect as adults.  Where is she going to meet a guy again that has this kind of setup?  I really wanted him to stay, but the beautiful letter he left behind was more than adequate to make me accept that he was just one of Mindy's passing through loves.

I also had a line that I liked from this story.  It was after Sam asked Danny whether Mindy was a great doctor and he agreed, surprisingly.  Morgan summed up nicely how much value that nod of approval from Danny meant:
That means a lot coming from him because he's very competitive and doesn't give a lot of compliments.
Either Danny is really starting to fall for Mindy or he really approved of Sam enough to be honest with him (because we all know he wouldn't want to co-own a business with her if he didn't think she was a doctor of good quality).  I liked that Danny has really started to bond with Mindy and seems less about bringing her down and more about joking around with her.  I like honest Danny a lot more than "pretending like he's the biggest bastard in the world" Danny.

Danny also seems to have made Mindy his problem solver.  While everyone else at the office was making him terrified of fathering a son that wasn't going to be in his life, Mindy quickly got him out of his commitment of donating sperm by listing Danny's many faults.  Although he didn't look prepared for the negative points that she was going to tell the couple, Danny went along with it and appeared grateful that she released him from the burden.  The old Danny probably wouldn't even have gone to Mindy for advice in the past.  But the new and more likeable Danny trusted her enough to tell her his problem and let her take care of it.  I'm really liking the place that their friendship has gotten to now.

This might be my favorite episode yet.  It's as good as that one at the club, but I think Mindy meeting a guy who had it all for her purposes beats a good night clubbing, for sure.  Seth Rogen was fantastic as Sam, and I hope somewhere (possibly in the second season if the show gets renewed) that Sam returns.  Maybe by then Mindy will already have found someone as great as him, but I still want him to come back and rekindle that spark they have together.  Sam's character really made me forget about all the other jerks Mindy's been cursed with, so I'll always be grateful for that.  I'm also grateful that Sam's visit made Danny admit how much he values Mindy as a doctor.  The two of them are really getting along well lately, and I'm eager to see if their friendship can deepen to the point that Danny opens himself up to Mindy even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment