Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tearjerker Returns

American Dad, S08E13


In a sequel to the Tearjecker story, Stan abandoned his life as a spy when his wife, Sexpun, was murdered by a new foe, Black Villain.  Bullock got him to return to his old life and partnered him up with Tearjecker to stop Black Villian's newest evil plan.

I was so excited to see that they did a continuation of this story.  I've been wanting them to do the Tearjerker bit again since I saw the first one a while ago.  It wasn't that I was curious about how Stan and Sexpun's married life went--I really wanted Tearjerker to survive the volcano and come back to be a thorn in Stan's side again.  Roger makes such a good villain since he's usually plotting and screwing people over in his real life.  Like, he's born to be a bad guy, with his loose policy on morals and common decency.

However, Tearjerker didn't end up being the main antagonist, and it was Black Villain who was running the show.  Principal Lewis as a bad guy wasn't a stretch either, but it was his lazy-ass name that I liked the most about him.  It was like someone don't even try to give him a real name.  It made him seem more like a joke rather than a man bent on destroying lives.

Next, I liked how Tearjerker got out of prison.  I was a little annoyed they showed all these underwater levels that separated Tearjerker from the surface until I saw him get pulled through all of them via the magnet inside of him.  It was kind of funny to see him get pulled through acid and cacti and stung by jellyfish.  I shouldn't have doubted that they wouldn't have bothered to slowly show us all of those layers of Earth if it wasn't going to be relevant.  I guess the way I was "fooled" helped make that joke about Tearjerker busting out a lot more funny to me.

My favorite part of the episode was when Sexpun (the clone) regained her memories of her original life and Tearjerker argued that this was impossible:
That's not how cloning works!  You're a completely different person!  You are so dumb!
I feel like he was set up to say that so that the "technical" viewers wouldn't be saying something similar.  Again, I like when they take a second to be the voice of their viewers to sort of combat future complaints (you can't complain about far-fetched concepts if they point them out first).

There were also a few gross moments.  The first, of course, is when Sexpun died.  It was bad enough to see a chunk of herself slide out of her middle without her falling on Stan and the hole around her spreading to Stan-width.  Since it's a cartoon this horrific image was amusing, but I can't imagine if I had to see something that gory in real life.  That would be so nasty.

The other nasty part was when the Tearjerker clones started fighting each other.  True to the DNA they had been created from, all of them were violent, unstable, and horny.  I don't know why Black Villain would have thought it would have been effective to use him as the base for his army.  They took care of themselves in less than two minutes.  And some of them were making out with each other.  Roger making out with anyone is bad enough, but seeing double Roger is double the gross.  But it was ironic that Black Villain unleashed the Tearjerker army only to have them be utterly useless.

Oh, I forgot that I liked how Tearjerker met his end in this story.  Something about him claiming that if a volcano couldn't kill him, nearly nothing would before he got stabbed through by a marlin was funny.  I guess this was because he was done in by something so cartoon-like.  How many people fall to their deaths on a fish?  And just when it looked like he was going to make it, a killer whale dragged him and that marlin into the sea.  So much for a third chapter in the Tearjerker saga.  Unless I'm lucky enough for them to simply make a convenient excuse as to why he survived a second time.

This was one of my favorite episodes.  It's definitely up there with that mock play.  I was extremely pleased to find out that they would do another Tearjerker story, even if it wasn't necessarily about his evil plan.  There was still enough comedy and general suspense with Black Villain added to the mix that I couldn't complain that Tearjerker wasn't in the center of it all.  I just hope that if they decide to make a third story that Tearjerker will be the headlining villain.  Maybe luck will be on my side, and I'll get to see that episode in the next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment